Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Holy Week Celebration


Back in the Philippines, our house in the province is just across the ever
popular Lenten rites happening in San Pedro, Cutud, City of San Fernando in Pampanga.

Yes, it’s where you see people doing re-enactments of the crucifixion
of Jesus every year.
The penitents do procession through the streets, some carrying crosses before they are nailed on the cross.

This annual event has been a part of the Holy Week tradition in our place; tourists from all over the world come to witness the occasion.

And as a child, I remember, my cousins and I used to sell ice candy and ice water to tourists

and whatever money we've earned from selling, we give to our lola.
The heat was never a hindrance for us to achieve our goal.
How simple life was way back then.

This year, I will be celebrating the Holy Week away from them.
I will be celebrating it with my friends. We will be attending mass at a nearby Church. Originally, what was planned is to do Visita Iglesia, that is, to visit seven churches on
Holy Friday to pay respect to the Blessed Sacrament. However, one of our friends has work on Saturday.
Hence, we decided to cancel it.

In whatever way we plan to celebrate the Holy Week, the important thing is to

commemorate the passion, death and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ who died on the cross in order to save mankind.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Cutud yesterday.

    It was a lil bit crazy, the whole thing. I'll post a few photos maybe later today. :)

    ReplyDelete